Peru’s best-known hike is visited by thousands of tourists every year. The classic 43-km/27 mi trek leading to the sacred Inca city of Machu Picchu combines mysterious archaeological sites, amazing mountain scenery and lush cloud forest. This adventure presents of wealth of rich Andean flora and fauna. On this deluxe tour, we will visit Piskacuchu, the Urubamba River, the Sacred Valley, and Miskay, finally arriving to the settlement of Wayllabamba. Sites include the Incan city Llactapata, a valley carved by the Kusichaca River, the Vilcanota Ridge and the Veronica Peak. From Wayllabamba we will head to Pacamayo for possible wildlife spotting and then to Wiñaywayna, visiting many archeological sites. You will reach Machu Picchu at sunrise on the fourth day.
||CUSCO TO WAYLLABAMBA
- Upon arrival, the first day’s activities includes hiking through Piskacuchu, the starting point of the Inca trail, the Urubamba River, the Sacred Valley, and Miskay, finally arriving to Wayllabamba to set up camp.
- Sites include an overlook of the Incan city Llactapata, a valley carved by the Kusichaca River, the Vilcanota Ridge and the Veronica peak.
||WAYLLABAMBA TO PACAYMAYO
- Day 2 consists of intense hiking, where the landscape transforms from sierra to puna (a high, dry area with little vegetation), finally descending into the Pacaymayo Valley to set up camp.
- Sites include the Abra Warmihuañusca (Dead Woman´s Pass), and possible wildlife includes domesticated llamas and alpacas, hummingbirds, sparrows, the Andean bear or spectacled bear.
- Pack sweets to keep sugar levels high and avoid altitude sickness!
||PACAYMAYO TO WIÑAYWAYNA
- Day 3 is the longest and most impressive of the trip due to the numerous archaeological sites and the diversity of flora and fauna.
- The trek from Pacaymayo ascends to Abra Runkurakay and descends toward Yanacocha (Black Lagoon), passes through Sayamarca and Abra Phuyupatamarca, pausing to admire the handicrafts and architecture.
- Then, the hiking continues down stone steps leading to Wiñaywayna to set up camp.
- This campsite hosts a trekker lodge, a bar and bathrooms with hot shower facilities.
- After visiting the impressive archaeological site, we will enjoy our farewell dinner at camp.
||WIÑAYWAYNA TO MACHUPICCHU TO CUSCO
- The final day of the journey consists of a climb to the Intipunku, or “The Sun Gate.”
- At a beautiful site, we may have a chance to experience the sunrise over Machu Picchu.
- From Intipunku we will descend into Machu Picchu, entering the citadel through the “House of the Guardians.”
- Here we will complete a guided tour of the Inca citadel, with time afterwards to explore the Temple of the Moon, the fabulous Inca Bridge, or a climb to the Huaynapicchu Mountain.
- In the afternoon we will meet in Aguas Calientes with the option of relaxing in the hot springs, concluding with a train ride back to the city of Cusco.
|More than 4 people, please ask your trip advisor.
* All prices are per person in US dollars.
* Supplement: $118
- Hotel pick-up and private transportation to the starting point of the trail (82nd km/ 51st mi)
- Inca Trail and Machu Picchu entrance fee
- Personal tents: 2 people in each 4-people-capacity tent, for additional comfort and safe-keeping of belongings. Our tents are 3-season.
- One inflatable sleeping pad per person
- One sleeping bag per person: our sleeping bags are -18ºC-comfort (0ºF), mummy form and include a sleeping liner. They are cleaned after every use and have a maximum usage of 30 trips
- One pillow per person
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- Kitchen tent
- Toilet tent (only if assigned campsites do not have toilets)
- English-speaking, professional guide (2 guides for groups of over 8 people)
- Chef and cooking equipment
- Porters (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
- Porters to carry personal gear up to a maximum of 9kg/20lbs per person (including sleeping bag and sleeping pad)
- Accommodation for all staff
- Meals (04B, 03L, 03D + daily morning snack + daily tea service except last day). Vegetarian menu is available at no extra cost
- Water: hot water every morning and evening for washing, boiled water to fill in your water bottle every morning and night, and at lunch time if requested in advance
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Bus ticket from the Machu Picchu ruins to the village of Aguas Calientes
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Cusco (Vistadome service)
- Transfer from the train station to your hotel in Cusco
- Lunch and dinner on the last day: after the guided tour at Machu Picchu, you can arrange your own time, perhaps with continued exploration of the ruins with lunch in either Machu Picchu or Aguas Calientes, at your own expense.
- We will arrive in Cusco is after nightfall, when you may choose to have dinner, which is also at your own expense.
- Air transportation. For a round trip domestic tickets (for example LIM/CUS/LIM) the cost is $320. For a one way domestic ticket (for example JUL/LIM) the cost is $160.00. Rates subject to change without previous advise.
- Airport departure taxes: $7.40 in Lima for domestic flights, USD$4.28 for Cusco, and approximately $31 for international departure tax in Lima
- Meals and services not specified in program
- Personal expenses